A CHANGING CAMPUS
The SDU campus expanded steadily in the post-War years, reflecting both the larger numbers and higher expectations of students and faculty at the University. The 1954 - 1964 decade reflected this growth trend, with several significant building projects undertaken (in addition to the rink discussed in the Athletics chapter of this display):
- In March, 1959, Marian College, SDU’s womens’ residence, was opened, with “residence accommodations for 60 young ladies, as well as teaching and domestic staff.” While it is, perhaps, telling that the new edifice was erected at a discrete (respectable) distance from the rest of the University buildings, Marian Hall was, nevertheless, the first dedicated facility for “coeds” on campus. Now extensively renovated, and adjoined to Don and Marion McDougall Hall, the former Marian College building continues to serve UPEI today.
- In October, 1963, the new Kelley Library building was opened, replacing the badly-cramped facility in Memorial Hall. The Kelley Building also continues to serve UPEI, and now houses administrative offices and classrooms.
- As the 1963 - 1964 academic year closed, plans for a long-rumoured campus coffee shop were being finalized. Opened the following year, this building, too, still remains a gathering place for the UPEI community, as it is now the campus Chaplaincy Centre.