Faces and Places
SDU: A Decade of Growth 1954-1964
The University of Prince Edward Island stands on the former campus of Saint Dunstan’s University, operated by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlottetown from 1855 to 1969. From its origins as a small school dedicated to educating prospective clergy and lay leaders for the Diocese, Saint Dunstan’s grew into a dynamic and diverse liberal arts university. Thousands of young men and women attended Saint Dunstan’s, and the University of Prince Edward Island honours this educational legacy.
With this digital display, the University Library commemorates the heritage of Saint Dunstan’s and celebrates the ongoing contribution of the SDU community to our University. As an example of this generous support, we highlight here our University Archives & Special Collections’ digitization program, launched in 2004 with funding and encouragement from the Saint Dunstan’s University Board of Governors and the SDU Class of 1954, and with further sustaining funding received in the years since from scores of individual SDU alumnae.We especially wish to acknowledge the early leadership and enthusiastic support of Class of ’54 Life Secretary Frank Zakem (Touch here to see our Tribute page to Frank).